- Membership / Join Us
- Store / Online Shop
- Weekly Alert Newsletter
- News Stories & Analysis
- Conference Reports
- Conference Calendar
- Parent Information
- Childcare/ECE Options
- Articles on ECE Services
- Making a Complaint
- Fees, Childcare Subsidy & Funding Rates
- Research Snippets
- ECE Jargon Dictionary
- Feedback Testimonials
- Training for Early Childhood Teaching
Choosing a Name for a Boy
There are many names for boys to choose from. A name is a name for a life-time. Through your choice of name you are giving a baby an identity. It is a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
When choosing a name consider the following:
- Can the name be altered or shortened to form a nasty or hurtful word? Think about name calling and bullying for when your child is school-aged.
- Can the name be easily pronounced and recognised in the community and country you live in? People with more traditional names tend to be more successful e.g. in getting called up for a job interview.
- Do you want baby to carry both parents' names? Hyphenated names e.g. Smith-Roberts are now out. Use one parent's surname as the middle name and the second parent's surname as the child's surname.
- Will the name conjure up negative feelings every time you say it? Avoid the names of people you don't like, even if you like the name. And don't name baby with the same name as a family member or friend who may be at risk of falling out with you sometime. Why? Babies pick up on their parents emotions and will notice that the name has negative associations for you.
Read more on choosing a baby name by clicking here ...
10 Most Popular Boys' Names based on Births Registered by Date in New Zealand
NZ Maori Names, Popular Names, and Unique Baby Boy Names
Maori boys’ names
Popular boys’ names
Unique boys’ names
READ MORE …
To view the full article and read comments please Login with your ChildForum member username and password.
If you are a member but your login is not working:
(a) check that your membership is current and renew by taking out a further 12 months of membership.
Being Informed - for the week of 20th February 2012 (1 match)
Baby Girl Names: Top 10 Choices, Popular Names, Unique Names, Maori Names (6 matches)
Matariki: Celebrating the Maori New Year (1 match)
What’s Happening To Our Boys? by Maggie Hamilton (1 match)
The Use of Te Reo Māori in ECE - References and Research (1 match)