Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
- Weekly requirements for a full-time student include attendance at a one-day tutorial, 12 hours of practice in an early childhood centre and an average of 15 hours of independent study.
- Locations for classes: Whangarei, Manukau, Hamilton, Rotorua, Gisborne, Hastings, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch and Dunedin
- 3 years full-time (or up to 6 years part-time)
- 2 intakes during the year
The degree comprises 12 papers (30 credits each) that integrate curriculum knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and te reo me ona tikanga Māori. Teacher identity, teaching dispositions and the Graduating Teacher Standards (Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand, 2007) are central aspects of the programme.
The programme aims to prepare early childhood teachers who:
1. teach in ways that uphold their responsibilities arising from Te Tiriti o Waitangi
2. are confident in their own and their communities