Children's Day in NZ is usually held on the first Sunday of March.
A number of countries have a similar special day for children on their events calendars.
It is an opportunity for parents, grandparents and other family members to celebrate the special day with children.
It is also an opportunity for early childhood centres and home-based services to get involved and do something to mark the day and celebrate how precious and important our babies, toddlers and preschoolers are.
What can you do?
Here are 5 ways to mark Children's Day for children in early childcare and education:
1. Let kids rule for a day. Tell all the children that they can totally decide what they want to do - do away with the programme, the rituals, the routines and the usual activities on offer to the children each day.
2. Surprise and delight the children!! Mobilise parents and staff to organise something special for children, e.g. a children's breakfast at the centre where the children are the guests of honour with full table service. Perhaps a special children's breakfast on Sunday - or if your parents aren't working you could do this on Monday morning.
To keep reading, login with your member's username and password
Here’s how our membership plans work
- Individual Members can view all the individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Full Early Childhood Service Members (staff and managers) can view everything including individual member articles, ECE research journals, and management and business (Go to the Join Us page for more details)
- Research Library subscribers have access only to our online library of Research Journals (this includes all past and current journal issues).
If you are not yet a member you are welcome to apply now - it takes only a few minutes to apply Go to the JOIN US page