There are many names for boys to choose from.
A name is a name for a life-time.
Through your choice of name you are giving a baby an identity. It is a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
When choosing a name consider the following:
- Can the name be altered or shortened to form a nasty or hurtful word? Think about name calling and bullying for when your child is school-aged.
- Think about how many other children might have the same name as your child at preschool or childcare and if you want your child to have a name that is very common or more unique.
- Can the name be easily pronounced and recognised in the community and country you live in?
- Hyphenated surnames e.g. Smith-Roberts are now less fashionable.
- Will the name conjure up negative feelings every time you say it? Avoid the names of people you don't like, even if you like the name. And don't name baby with the same name as a family member or friend who may be at risk of falling out with you sometime. Why? Children pick up on their parents emotions and will notice that the name has negative associations for you.
To help you in your choice below we provide lists of the top names chosen by NZ parents, popular names, unique names and Maori names.
Login with your member's username and password to keep reading
Here’s how our membership plans work
- Individual Membership plans can view both Individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Early Childhood Service plans can view ALL member articles: Individual, Research Journals and Early Childhood Service articles - along with support and a range of other benefits as outlined on the Join Us page
- Research Journal subscription plans can view our library of Research Journals and the articles in all past and current jounral issues.
Should you not hold a current membership – you are welcome to apply now.