This article gives essential information and many different tried and proven ideas for celebrating, enjoying, and teaching about the Olympics that you could implement with any child or group of children.
The Olympic rings represent the 5 continents of the world linked together in friendship. The Olympic Games are held every four years. There is both a summer and winter Olympics and these are staged two years apart. Nearly every country sends a selection of their top athletes to compete in events and engage in the friendly spirit of international competition.
Countries stand proud. Winners become heroes. Children become inspired in seeing their heroes and following the achievements and stories of their own country’s representatives as well as those from other countries.
Parents and teachers need to know at least a little about the Olympics, its history, ceremonies and customs, symbols, and events to mark this occasion with their children and to convey and share the excitement.
The event can also be used as an opportunity for enabling children to learn about goal setting, what it takes to engage in a sport successfully, and about the world outside of where they live.
1. A little history lesson
2. Information on your country's entry into the Games
3. Some topics for discussion with children
4. Ideas for getting ready at your ECE service and for marking the Olympic Games event
5. Lots of different activity ideas, including art and craft, maths etc, and ways to follow the Games
To keep reading and view the full article login with your member's username and password
Here’s how our membership plans work:
- Individual Membership plans can view both Individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals (but not the ECE Service management article area). In addition, individual members can discuss and ask questions of fellow members any time through the online childcare and early childhood education practice, policy, and research discussion forum.
- Early Childhood Service plans can view ALL member articles: Individual, Research Journals and Early Childhood Service articles. Also on this membership plan members can access the online discussion forum for individual members AND the online ECE service management / business forum.
- Research Journal subscription plans can view our library of Research Journals and related research articles only
Should you not hold a current membership – you are welcome to apply now.