Here is some key text from a letter forwarded to ChildForum and signed by the Education Minister which shows Governement's perspective in regard to funding and qualified teachers.
“The main change early childhood services will see from Budget 2010 decisions is the replacement of the 80-99% and 100% funding band rates with new 80%+ funding band rates from 1 February 2011.”
“A decision was also made in Budget 2010 to reprioritise funding set aside for future funding rate increases arising from the settlement of the 2008 Kindergarten Teachers Collective Agreement”
“There is a range of measures a service could take in response to the funding changes taking effect in February 2011. These include changes to the hours of operation of the service, reduced or restructured staffing, or general changes to increase efficiencies”.
Below we look at what this may mean and the consequences for:
- children's education and care quality
- parents and fee and other charges
- currently employed teachers and their job security
- new graduates and people looking to re-enter the early childhood teaching profession
- ECE service providers
- the Teachers' Union and the teaching profession
To keep reading, login with your member's username and password
Or click on the blue button below to join