There appear to be significant issues related to privacy in the handling of child and parent/ caregiver private data and use.
Read more: News story announcing the funding
There is potential for information to be leaked.
There is potential for mistakes to be made in decisions over which services get Targeted Funding and how much, and no transparency with calculations and final decisions.
The right of families and services to complain has been eroded with the Ministry of Education progressively making changes to give it greater control (for example in introducing a national student number for every child and in developing its national data base and requiring electronic centralised recording of child and family information and attendance).
It is not clear what the purpose is of the MSD supplying the Ministry of Education with parents’ social welfare numbers, the type of benefit and benefit group – the supply of unnecessary information introduces a new privacy risk.
This article looks at:
- The information collected, used, and generated by the Ministry
- Issues for teachers and ECE service providers to be aware of
- The major known privacy risks to children, families and services identified by the Ministry
To keep reading, login with your member's username and password
Here’s how our membership plans work
- Individual Members can view all the individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Full Early Childhood Service Members (staff and managers) can view everything including individual member articles, ECE research journals, and management and business (Go to the Join Us page for more details)
- Research Library subscribers have access only to our online library of Research Journals (this includes all past and current journal issues).
If you are not yet a member you are welcome to apply now - it takes only a few minutes to apply Go to the JOIN US page