Essentials for Setting Up a Licensed Home-Based Education Service

setting up a homebased service© ChildForum


Home-based ECE services require a licence from the Ministry of Education.

As part of the licensing process ministry officials will visit the homes of two educators to make sure they are 'fit for purpose'.

This includes making sure there is adequate space for both indoor and outdoor play and room for different types of activities.

The homes must also comply with regulations in the Building Act 2004.

When it comes to employing co-ordinators and educators, services are expected to apply a proper HR procedure.


Oops ... you are attempting to read material available exclusively to our ECE Service Provider members.  

Login first to be able to access this article or resource Smile

If you are not an ECE Service Provider, you may be eligible for membership as an Educator. There are many other great articles and different resources available in the member-only area for Educators

To take out membership or to restore access if your membership has expired, look below ↓ for the click here button ↓   It will take you to the membership page to sign-up and choose your own unique username and password.  

Are you interested in joining us? 
Become a member and also gain access to our significant online knowledge base 

Membership Options


Who is this for?
Teachers - Student Teachers - Parents
$78.00 one year
$145.00 two years
Your own personal username and password.

ECE Service Provider  

Who is this for?
Service providers with one or more licensed ECE services
Starting from $198.00 for one year
A unique username and password

NZ-International Research in
ECE Journal Subscription

Who is this for?
Libraries, universities, polytechnics and organisations
$150.00 annual renewable in November each year
A username and password or IP address access