Safety-proofing for children
Make sure all adults at your service know and older children are taught the importance of not touching a person who is having an electric shock until the power is turned off.
Does each person in your team know of all the various electrical hazards for children present within the centre/ home environment?
What understanding does each person responsible for children have about the need for vigilance and safety considerations for children of different ages and abilities? And what information or training does each person need to make appropriate responses and provide safe supervision?
The importance of electrical testing
Is your early childhood education service compliant for electrical safety? It needs to be:
- Failure of electrical wiring or appliances is one of the most common causes of house and building fires – which could be devastating financially for your service, personally for everyone affected, and even lead to loss of life.
- Health and Safety regulations require that measures are put in place to protect all persons on the work site from injury or death due to electrocution.
- Early childhood education regulations require that all electrical sockets be safe and children’s access to these restricted.
- To meet legal obligations, you need to have the right documentation to show that you have done everything you can to control, reduce and remove risk. Keep reading below
The Early Childhood Education Electrical Testing checklist
The rest of this information or article is for our early childhood service members. Has your service joined us? Log in with your ECE service’s username and password.
Here’s how our membership plans work
- Individual Membership plans can view both Individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Early Childhood Service plans can view ALL member articles: Individual, Research Journals and Early Childhood Service articles - along with support and a range of other benefits as outlined on the Join Us page
- Research Journal subscription plans can view our library of Research Journals and the articles in all past and current jounral issues.