Relievers are a much welcome part to any ECE service. Teachers and home-based coordinators will require annual or sick leave, or you may need someone to fill in, while you look for a new staff member. Whatever the reason for your need for using a reliever, there are many questions and concerns that may arise for employers and managers.
- Where can I get a reliever?
- How much do relievers usually cost?
- What sort of teaching quality should I expect from a reliever?
- Can I choose my reliever?
- What if the reliever is not very good?
- Some helpful resources
Children respond best to people that they know and trust, and having regular and reliable staff members helps to develop their sense of belonging while they are at your service. Many services will choose to employ regular relievers privately through advertising or from people approaching the service.
Sometimes, however, this is not possible and the service will need to use a reliever from an external agency. There are a few options in the main centres and all agencies have slightly different ways of operating therefore it is important to carefully read the contract with the agency to ensure you have a full understanding of your position in this agreement. There are some questions that regularly arise for employers and managers when it comes to using an external relieving agency.
1. Where can I get a reliever?
This information or article is exclusively for our early childhood service members holding a full membership
To keep reading, login with your member's username and password
Here’s how our membership plans work
- Individual Members can view all the individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Full Early Childhood Service Members (staff and managers) can view everything including individual member articles, ECE research journals, and management and business (Go to the Join Us page for more details)
- Research Library subscribers have access only to our online library of Research Journals (this includes all past and current journal issues).
If you are not yet a member you are welcome to apply now by going to the JOIN US page.