Relievers are a much welcome part to any ECE service. Teachers and home-based coordinators will require annual or sick leave, or you may need someone to fill in, while you look for a new staff member. Whatever the reason for your need for using a reliever, there are many questions and concerns that may arise for employers and managers.
- Where can I get a reliever?
- How much do relievers usually cost?
- What sort of teaching quality should I expect from a reliever?
- Can I choose my reliever?
- What if the reliever is not very good?
- Some helpful resources
Children respond best to people that they know and trust, and having regular and reliable staff members helps to develop their sense of belonging while they are at your service. Many services will choose to employ regular relievers privately through advertising or from people approaching the service.
Sometimes, however, this is not possible and the service will need to use a reliever from an external agency. There are a few options in the main centres and all agencies have slightly different ways of operating therefore it is important to carefully read the contract with the agency to ensure you have a full understanding of your position in this agreement. There are some questions that regularly arise for employers and managers when it comes to using an external relieving agency.
1. Where can I get a reliever?
Sorry, this information or article is available only to early childhood service members. Log in with your ECE service’s username and password to read more and view the full page.
Here’s how our membership plans work;
- Individual Membership plans can view both Individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Early Childhood Service plans can view ALL member articles: Individual, Research Journals and Early Childhood Service articles. Also, on this membership plan members can access the online discussion form for individual members AND the online ECE service management / business forum.
- Research Journal subscription plans can view our library of Research Journals and related research articles only
Should you not hold a current membership, or should you wish to apply to upgrade from an individual to an ECE Service membership plan for your ECE service – you are welcome to apply now.