The information provided here answers the following questions:
- Does there need to be a minimum amount of staff at the centre? Our centre closes at 5.30 pm. We usually only have two children left at that time of the day. Is it legally OK to only have one staff member at this time or do the regulations require two staff members?
- Is it okay for a teacher who is on their last year of training to be acting as a supervisor e.g. being left in charge without a qualified or certificated teacher and supervising unqualified staff and also doing openings and closings?
- When our certificated ECE teacher is on leave because we only have one other teacher who is trained and she is primary trained, our centre manager says she is the person responsible. Can a primary trained teacher be in charge of an early childhood centre?
- Could you advise if only qualified teachers are legally allowed to be responsible for opening and closings at a centre please. The person responsible clause under the ECE Regulations states they should be recognised as being qualified; is this correct?
At the end of this article please feel free to add comments and ask any further questions.
Sorry, this information or article is available only to early childhood service members. Log in with your ECE service’s username and password to read more and view the full page.
Here’s how our membership plans work;
- Individual Membership plans can view both Individual member-only articles and our library of Research Journals.
- Early Childhood Service plans can view ALL member articles: Individual, Research Journals and Early Childhood Service articles. Also, on this membership plan members can access the online discussion form for individual members AND the online ECE service management / business forum.
- Research Journal subscription plans can view our library of Research Journals and related research articles only
Should you not hold a current membership, or should you wish to apply to upgrade from an individual to an ECE Service membership plan for your ECE service – you are welcome to apply now.