"The State of Play with ECE Teacher Pay"
This report of results from the 2020 Early Childhood Education National Survey covers the following ten questions:
- What do people in the ECE sector earn?
- Are staff paid for all their time spent working?
- Is there regional variation in pay and if so, could there be scope for non-kindergarten ECE staff in any region to be paid more?
- How does staff pay compare between private and community owned early childhood services? And are pay levels related to staff leaving?
- How does staff pay compare between kindergarten and non-kindergarten services? And are pay levels related to staff leaving?
- How does staff pay compare between the main categories of ECE services? And are pay levels related to staff leaving?
- Is the pay of qualified and certificated teachers the same in all centres under the control of kindergarten associations?
- What difference does it make in the pay of qualified and certificated teachers if they work in a kindergarten funded for pay parity compared to another ECE service that is not?
- What proportion of ECE teaching staff have stayed in their job for at least two years?
- Can the ECE sector retain its workforce?
The results are discussed and areas for further investigation are identified.
In the appendix to this report you can find background information with a short history on setting pay rates in the early childhood education (ECE) sector.
The Wages and Employee Benefits Guide 2020 - 2021 will give you detailed information on pay benchmarks - see what others are paying their staff and benefits provided. The Guide is available exclusively for ECE service members - ask us or click on the link to go to the The Wages and Employee Benefits Guide 2020 - 2021
Click on Next > below to continue to the next page