Theme: "Teaching in Early Childhood Settings"
The New Zealand International Research in Early Childhood Education Journal is an academic journal that publishes local and international research and theory relating to young children in the early years. "Early childhood education" in the journal title is defined as encompassing children's care, health, development and learning (provided in diverse settings and by a range of people including parents and professional teachers, etc).
For this special issue, high quality papers relating to "teaching in early childhood settings" are invited.
Teaching in the early years is a contested space, including defining what constitutes effective teaching, what must be taught, how, when and why. So we welcome papers from different perspectives and on various aspects, including:
- Characteristics of quality teaching
- Pedagogical approaches in early childhood teaching
- Teaching different groups of children and interests/ abilities (e.g. boys, girls, infants, gifted and talented children, children who are migrants, etc.)
- Factors that affect teachers and their teaching
- How teachers' experiences of teaching may be affected by their characteristics (e.g. age, gender, own childhood upbringing)
- Educational policy influences on teaching
- How aspects of the stated curriculum are reflected in teaching practices
- Historical aspects of or changes in early childhood teaching.
Papers may take the following forms:
- articles reporting original research
- an in-depth critical analysis of research or theory
- research notes
- other paper types such as commentaries which are considered by the Editors on an individual basis.
Papers may report research and issues from any country providing the article focus and content is of international interest or is relevant to the NZ context of early childhood education and care.
The word limit for articles is 5,000 words, excluding the list of references and any appendices.
Please note that there is no charge for manuscript publication. All authors are supplied with 3 months free library member access to their own and the entire collection of NZIRECE journals and articles. In submitting an article to the NZIRECE journal the author(s) accepts that upon publication, copyright of the article belongs to the journal.
August 15th, 2019 – a draft abstract must be submitted. You will hear back by August 30th if your abstract has been accepted and a full paper is invited.
December 1st, 2019 - first deadline for submission of manuscripts
January 20th, 2019 - the latest that a full manuscript must be submitted by.
Your abstract should include:
- Author/s and Affiliation/s
- Abstract (up to 350 words)
- The name and email address of the person to contact regarding the submission
Editorial Board Members
Dr Kaye Cederman (Trinity College, Dublin)
Dr Elspeth McInnes (University of South Australia, Adelaide)
Prof Pam Whitty (University of New Brunswick, Canada)
Tui Summers (Te Rito Maioha, NZ)
Dr Jo Ailwood (University of Newcastle, New South Wales)
Dr Carla Solvason (University of Worcester, UK)
Dr Qilong Zhang (Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, NZ)
Gillian Postlewaight (Eastern Institute of Technology, NZ)
Helen Mataiti (University of Canterbury, NZ)
Dr Chris Jenkin (Auckland University of Technology, NZ)
Nicola Watson (University of Worcester, UK)
To keep reading, login with your member's username and password
Or click on the blue button below to join