White crosses in playgrounds and teaching about World War One, death and sacrifice
ChildForum asked the Ministry of Education some questions about the Field of Remembrance Trust packs sent to all early childhood services. This investigative news story raises more questions. We are keen to receive your feedback.
Was your service affected by the 'Susan Wilson' international email scam?
There is learning that can be taken from this by every early childhood provider, administrator and user of the Internet.
Childcare Subsidy rates change
Families on very low incomes may now receive a higher rate of subsidy. Subsidy changes came into effect this month. Make sure your families and early childhood service people know about this.
Important national meeting for service providers / managers and senior teaching staff
Make sure you've completed your registration to come on Friday 27th May to Wellington and discuss the Government Budget announcements, funding changes, and how the ECE sector and individual services may respond. There will also be panel discussions and presentations by experts on a range of topical subjects such as assessment and how educators can improve outcomes for children and save time through working smarter rather than harder, qualifications and quality agenda in Australia and NZ, when the rules for health and playground safety don't work well in practise, protecting the service and people through a good child protection policy, etc.
It's time to start thinking about and preparing for another cultural/ family celebration on our NZ and Australia calendars: 'Mother's Day". This can be broadened to ‘Special Person’ day for children who have a different special female person/s in their life who provides hands on loving care.
Calls for Research Papers
The NZ Research in ECE journal has issued an invitation to researchers in NZ and internationally to respond to a call for papers for:
1. The forthcoming general issue of the NZRECE journal. The journal publishes research results, critiques, methodological papers and theoretical articles relating to children’s care, wellbeing and education in the early years (from conception and up to eight years of age). As well as papers reporting original research, papers presenting diverse methodologies, critiquing research practices, or advancing thinking about how research is conducted and used are also welcomed. the closing date for submissions is 30th May 2016 (we suggest you let the Editor know if you are planning to submit a paper).
2. A special issue on "Early Childhood Educators and their Work". For the Special Issue, high quality papers relating to all aspects of early childhood educators and their work across practices, policy, training, and career paths are welcomed. Examples may include:
- Educators’ job satisfaction
- Qualifications and early childhood educators
- The demographics of early childhood educators
- Attraction to the profession
- The work conditions of early childhood educators
- Indigenous and minority group participation in early childhood educational work
- (Dis)ablility, gender, and age issues
- Policies and management
- Challenges and barriers for work in early childhood education
The closing date to submit your proposal/ abstract is 15 May 2016.
New Facebook page for ECE
Check it out https://www.facebook.com/childforum The Facebook page will feature interesting stuff and conversations on relevant matters to all sectors in early education and care.
Not a member? Get your own unique username and password for member access by going to www.childforum.com and joining