Merry Christmas! On behalf of our team at ChildForum I would like to wish you the very best for a happy and relaxing time. 2019 is set to be an exciting year - we have lots to look forward to!
Dr Sarah Alexander
'tis the season for vandalism and burglary
Thefts, especially of outdoor play equipment, from early childhood services often occur in the lead up to Christmas. The risk of vandalism increases during weekends, evenings and when services are closed over the holiday period.
- Put into locked storage what can be moved and stored
- Invest in some outdoor security cameras
- Be friendly with neighbours and enlist their support to report any suspicious behaviour
- Make sure a proper playground safety check is carried out every morning before children arrive. Use the hazard identification and safety management checklist (get copies here) and ensure you keep copies to show that checks were performed.
ChildForum is open over Christmas/ New Year
We know many people are working over the Christmas-New Year period and many early childhood services are continuing to operate as well.
Supporting you, we are remaining open and are available to provide help and process queries and memberships.
Ask a question or share a problem
Do you want to know about:
- Carrying over holiday leave and cashing up?
- Under what circumstances are you be allowed to have school-aged children stay at your service?
- Changing the enrolment of a child who is attending another service in another town temporarily?
- Where to find the best professional development for your staff?
- What to do about a colleague's rough handling of a child?
Any questions or problems can be posted in the discussion forum. Here is the online link: https://www.childforum.com/forum/index.html
Have you done some good early childhood research recently?
Write it up over the holiday break and submit it for consideration for publication in the International-NZ Research in ECE Journal. Editor Dr Wendy Boyd welcomes new submissions.
Give a gift of ChildForum membership
News for teachers
When you renew your practising certificate you no longer have to rely on snail mail ????- you can now do it online in about 10 minutes!
Safety around water
Under-5s are at greatest risk of drowning. Here is a quick read article to share with parents and colleagues to help to keep your children safe over summer
New email address? Let us know if your email address has changed.
Not a member? If you don't hold a current membership go to our website at www.childforum.com to join or to renew.
Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/childforum